This album came out of a shop in Littlerock, Ca – January 2011
(This is a repeat post for Sepia Saturday as Im out of town with my laptop but still wanted something to post, so this one has a automobile theme, can anyone name the cars in the photos?)
This weeks Sepia Saturday post, I am just low on time to prepare something and I have some old race track photos I would have loved to have posted but no time to do so. So I found this blog I wrote earlier appropriate with the soldier posing against an old car to go with this weeks blog theme. See http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/ . Almost looks like he has a snow cone or something, great candid shot on the back bumper and the railroad x behind and old Auto sign, his tie flapping in the wind.
I actually found the pages to this album on one visit and I went back a few weeks later and found the Album Cover I believe that went to it as its military themed and the same size as the pages I found.
I believe the subject of this album is Andy Chavarin. A lot of photos of him in Uniform, is this Army uniform? looks like California in some of the photos. No info, names or dates on the photos. At the end of the album there are newer photos which is where I matched the name Andy Chavarin in later years. Most of these are Golf Team Photos as it appears he was a member of MAGA Mexican American Golf Association.
Identifying info taken from photos
1. 8×10 photo of a truck labeled “Chavarin’s Trucking” also advertised on the side of the truck is “Elster’s since 1920 Home Appliances, Commercial Refrigerators”. Photo studio named on the bottom is Graphic Studio Los Angeles, Ca
2. Maga Golf photo (Maga is Mexican American Golf Association. (History on Maga taken from magaofcalifornia.com -Mexican Americans, as late as 1962, were not readily accepted in public and private golf organization, nor could they readily obtain access to golf courses for tournament play. Something had to be done to change this condition. From the Riverside, Ca Maga Website – The Association was originally founded by the late Nash Fernandez in Central California. In the early 1960’s, Nick Negrete, in turn carried the message to Orange County, where the nucleus of the Southern section was formed. )
3. Tijuana B. Cal Mexico 1972 Photo of Golfers
4. MAGA Riverside – Orange Counties Tourney Massacre Canyon Inn April 20, 1969. Golf Players named are Emelio Garcia, Ray Garcia, Sonny Rio Gante ?, Andy Chavarin and Joe Villareal
5. Maga LA County Chapter First Golf Tournament