Sepia saturday post, I broke 2 wrist bones last sat and had surgery tues, so I had a plate and pins put in and now am housebound healing, but still managing to do this one handed, not too shabby eh?
Bought this batch online, ad said
“Offered is a lot of 14 antique photos from an estate” and they were shipped to me from Bloomfield, NY in May 2011
The listing said the photos had writing on them but when they arrived I was sad to see only one photo had writing that said “Sons of Aunt Jennie Uncle Eddie – Earl and Warren”
I was so sad not a last name, state or photographer listed. Didnt know how far I could go trying to trace these people.
But a challenge is always good right? Since the photos that are labeled by a photographer have Rochester, New York, the seller said they came out of an estate, and were shipped to me from New York, I had a starting point! Yay!
So we have these two boys featured in our photo with the clues to trace, I hopped on a family search site, typed in NY and the first names of parents to find any listed in old census records, first names of spouses was just enough to find me a few matches, then if you can find that, you next search through the household listed in the census.
It didnt take too long to find a match!
Edward M. Kennell and his wife Jennie Kennell are in the 1910 census living in Gates, Monroe, NY and have the following children, EARL L.(a match), Warren (another match), Florence, Edna, Norman and the mother in law Margaret Spruce. So now I have 2 names from the family line to work with.
It appears Edward the father of these boys died in January of 1915. They resided at Brooks Ave, Gates
other photos in this group
2. We also have this cute little girl in the white dress
photographer J.W. Taylor 55 Clinton Ave. S Rochester,NY.
3. Solo portrait of the woman, scuffed up a little, perhaps the mother of the boy and girl in the following photo(similar facial features). Both of those photos were taken at the same studio “Smith-Curry Central Art Studio, Rochester, NY”
2 Cabinet Cards.
4. Man with mustache. Photographer R.H. Furman, 62 State St., Rochester, NY
5. Child. Says “Miller’s Old Stand” under the photo and photographer Welch, 96 state st., Rochester, NY
6. Blurred photo. Group of about 6 gentleman in suits and hats, building and old car in background.
7. There are 5 photos of the same child, no studio listed, 3 had holes punched and were tied together at one time to probably hang on the wall. The little girl doesnt look to happy to pose in any of the shots and in one she is without the coat and hood.
8. Woman in sleeve folder taken by Moser Studio, rochester, NY
9. Postcard photo of 2 girls in white dresses